Getting to Know Me - Who You Are Matters Assignment
What’s up!
My name is Kennedy Martin, and I was born and raised here in Los Angeles, California. Throughout my years of growing up in Los Angeles, I have lived and gone to school in various parts of the city. I lived in Hawthorne (near LAX), but went to elementary/middle school in Bel Air, to Crossroads in Santa Monica for high school, and here I am now, where I live in Downtown Los Angeles and go to USC. For this reason, I like to consider myself very well rounded when it comes to the city, and also a human GPS system.
Growing up, I have set and met a lot of dreams and goals, and I am fortunate to be on the right track to meet my career goals. For the longest, I’ve dreamt to pursue a career within the sports or entertainment industry. More specifically, I would like to explore brand development and/or brand marketing/strategy for Nike. My plan is to first intern with Nike so that I can get a proper foot in the door, and then take it from there! Although this dream of mine is very specific, I am always open to whatever career path life has to offer me. As long as I am doing what I love and loving what I do, I am set.
My parents and I are not that alike to a T, however one way we definitely relate to each other is through our go-getter and get-it-done mentality. We do not let anything stop us. No matter what challenge we are faced with, we always find a way to get things done. While we are alike in this aspect, we differ in quite a few areas. I am a very patient and zen person. My mother, on the other hand, is very short tempered. My father is a pretty hands on type of guy. He’s into fixing cars and such. Me? I don't even know how to fix a tire. Lastly, I am into shoes and clothing a lot. Like a lot. My parents couldn't care less about their everyday attire.
Personally, I wouldn’t say that I’ve developed expectations for myself, but rather just goals. I also don’t like the word “expectation,” nor do I really set them. I don’t find it good to “expect” anything to happen. That’s how disappointment happens when things don’t necessarily go your way. That’s just me though. There are a lot of people in my life who serve as examples for me to model, but to point out a non-relative figure, I must argue that Kobe Bryant has served as a primitive role model in my life. His Mamba Mentality, the way he carried himself on and off the court, and the way he took care of himself transcended into my life and how I think and do. RIP a Legend.
I actually don’t have a significant connection with the nature kingdoms, however, switching gears a little bit, I feel a strong connection to a lion for the qualities that are often used to describe the animal. Relentless. Fearless. Hungry. Powerful. Courageous. Strong. These are all qualities to describe a lion, but also qualities that I have adopted myself through my life’s experiences.
Sun Sign: 13 Degrees Pisces
Moon Sign: 25 Degrees Gemini
Rising Sign: 08 Degrees Virgo
Hi Kennedy, I really enjoyed reading your blog and getting to know a bit more about you! I think it is particularly cool how you already have a specific job and company in mind for your future and hope you achieve your goals working at Nike! I also liked what you said about not setting expectations so as to not disappoint yourself - an interesting outlook that I will consider for myself from now on :)
ReplyDeleteHey Kennedy, I enjoyed reading your blog post and learning a bit more about who you are. I massively respect the fact that you not only have an overarching goal, but you are also keeping an open-mind about other great opportunities that may pop up. I think that’s so important, especially at SC where I feel like there are so many opportunities for graduates in whatever like every field. Also, you will also be the first person I ask if I have any questions about Los Angeles!
ReplyDeleteHey Kennedy! Great blog post. It was really fun reading about you. I love how you added the human GPS aspect to your background paragraph. I must say that I am not the best with directions. I really love your goal about marketing with Nike. I grew up using many of Nike's products so that would be a super fun job to have. I am sure you will have no trouble attaining that goal. From someone who also grew up in LA, I love how you added Kobe in as a role model. I think that is such a great person to have as a role model. I look forward to talking more.
ReplyDeleteKennedy, this is a test. Let me see if this comment gets to you. Send me a response to this comment if you get it. I'm wondering if you have to disable a pop-up blocker, or if it's something else. Mamba mentality: Check. Marketing Nike -- check out what they did with Colin Kaepernick or Allyson Felix -- agree? disagree? how would you personally have handled it differently? Lion: Check. Human GPS System: I wish there was a competition -- I know the east side really well, sounds like you know the west side -- who would win if there WAS a GPS competition? Great post, a lot to mull over....
ReplyDelete