World We Dare To Imagine: Part 1
As easy as it may seem to be to answer, answering this question is actually pretty hard for me. There isn’t one single step or direction I would take in making the world a better place. To help attack the question, I thought about myself and what makes me, me. One of the biggest attributes I’ve carried for the longest time has been my athleticism. I thought about what I lacked as an athlete growing up, and that if I could go back and time and do it over again, what I would do better or change. Immediately I thought about the mental training I did NOT have. With that being said, if I had to take a step toward making the world a better place, I would take a step toward raising awareness of mental health in sports in institutions.
I’m tired of seeing institutions making examples out of the lack of attention toward mental health in sports instead of making an impact. Too many times on social media I see announcements of people that I know taking a step away from a sport they’ve played their whole life due to constant tolls and battles with their mental health. It has got to stop. Being an athlete isn’t always positive, especially for those who are in college. It doesn’t have to be this way. Change can be made and has to be made if we want to sustain positive energy around college athletics, and maintain a reputable athletic program. To me, it begins with institutions. Developing programs and safe spaces for athletes to express themselves. Setting aside mental health days where student-athletes are restricted from team practices and competitions. The list goes on. What matters most is creating a system that implements the small things, and serves to listen to the voices and cater to the needs of student-athletes.
Long story short, finding different ways to make an impact in the attention toward mental health in sports is something I am passionate about.
Comments
Post a Comment